Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Stability

Phew... I feel like most of the big changes have come and gone, and now we're starting to get settled in.  Of course, more changes are probably going to pop up suddenly, but for now I'll enjoy a little bit of stability.

Troy's back in school... or in a new school.  It's different for him, but he seems to like it.  And I love the fact that he has an hour less driving time per day, so he's not leaving as early or getting home as late!  We're excited about the potential this position has for the future, as well.

Keragan is also back in school and loving it.  When I first started bringing it up, she didn't seem too sure about it.  However, we went in to meet her teacher and see her classroom, and it took two seconds for her to find her cubby, hang up her jacket and go play with her new Assistant Teacher.  We're halfway through the second week and she absolutely LOVES it.

We decided to put her on the bus this year instead of driving her to school, which I was kind of worried about.  However, having to get two babies up and in the car every morning by 8, and then having to take three kids into the school twice every day just seemed like too much.  Especially this winter when it's cold.  So we decided to try the bus, knowing we could always change our minds.  Last year she always wanted to go on the bus with her friends so I hoped that would carry over this year, and it has!  She is so proud that she gets to ride the bus, and I think I've teared up every day as she sits in her seat and waves at me and blows me kisses as the bus drives away.  Hopefully this keeps up, because it definitely is more convenient for me.

With the two new babies I do feel like it's taken away from time with Keragan, and it is hard to lose even more of that, but she really does excel in school.  Just in the week and a half she's been there, Troy and I are already seeing a difference in her.  She is so social and loves to be around other kids her age.  She also does so well in a structured, scheduled environment and we haven't really had that around here recently.  So she's having a blast and learning a lot, and I just need to be more intentional with her during the time I do have with her.

Her imagination is going crazy, though!  We don't know where she gets half of the stuff she comes up with, from the white whale that lives in our living room, to being obsessed with pirates.  She's singing non-stop and her favorite thing is to walk to the pond and feed the ducks.

The babies are also changing a lot.  Baby J has now been with us for four months, which makes her almost 6 months old!  She has been a very calm, quiet baby who I was considering a little lazy.  She could sit up if she wanted to, but usually she just fell over.  Trying to get her to babble or play with toys was nearly impossible.  It was nice to have an easy baby so I didn't mind much.  But last week I had one more person comment on her hair, and I decided it was time to do something with it.  She has a lot of really curly hair, and so I had left it as a 'fro, not having a clue what to do with it.  One of my friends came to the rescue and showed me how to section and twist it.  Poor baby J cried like I've never heard her cry before.  She got so worked up that she spit up everywhere!  But it's done, and now I have to figure out how to do this again.... probably every week.
 

Doing her hair seemed to wake her up... she immediately started sitting up unsupported for long periods of time.  She suddenly gained interest in every toy and other object that she sees, and the best part -- she has found her voice.  Okay, maybe not the best part for me, but she seems to be thrilled by hearing her high pitched shrieks ALL DAY LONG.  It is more fun, though, and I'm glad she seems to be more excited about life.  It looks like baby J will be staying with us at least through next February.

Baby S has been with us for almost two months, which means she is almost eight months old!  She's the opposite of baby J, and Keragan for that matter.  Keragan was behind (physically), so baby S is kind of blowing my mind.  Keragan didn't sit up until 8 months, didn't crawl until 11 months and didn't walk until 17 months.  I fully expect baby S to be walking before 12 months, and to be crawling before she hits 8 months.  She's already scooting everywhere so quickly that I'm a little worried about her full-on crawling.  Keragan was older and listened pretty well, so it was easy to keep the house safe for her.  Baby S is way more curious and knows absolutely nothing about listening or obeying, so this is a new fun experience.  Or at least a new experience!  :)  We have no idea how long Baby S will be staying with us, as mom and dad aren't really doing anything to get her back.

We are asked a lot if we would adopt these babies if we get the chance... YES!  We are licensed as foster to adopt, so if the opportunity ever arises, we would take it.  However, it's not that simple.  It really comes down to the county making a decision on whether mom or dad is fit to care for the child, and it can drag out for years.  It's hard when they're so young, because we're all they know.  Baby J cries every time I take her to visit her mom.  It's only going to get worse, too, but there's nothing we can do except love her and care for her for the time we have her.

My transition from working mom to stay-at-home mom has been pretty seamless.  Or maybe I just haven't had time to think about it!  A lot of days I do count down the hours (or minutes) until nap time, and I feel like I'm constantly getting ready for what's next (appointments, meetings, etc).  But I'm enjoying my time with my girls!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment